We should all be concerned about the security of our Android devices. From banking to online shopping, we have come to rely on our smartphones in many aspects of our daily lives. The COVID19 pandemic has only accelerated this trend. Australians are enjoying the online shopping experience so much that by the end of 2021, 73% of online purchases will be made via mobile phone.
However, every time we shop online using our smartphones, we leave behind a trail of data. Cybercriminals are always looking for ways to exploit the vulnerabilities in mobile apps, operating systems and software, trying to capitalise on security flaws. The data that cybercriminals seek ranges from credit card information to passwords to contact details. Tactics used to extract this information come in malware, phishing emails, and malicious applications from the Google Play store, which pose a threat to Android users.
In recent years, fake or malware-ridden apps have appeared in the Google Play store to trick Android users into downloading and using the apps. In many instances, spyware is hidden in these apps, designed to steal personal and device information. The malicious apps bypass Google Play Security app requirements as expected, but once Google has been notified of their suspicious nature, the damage has been done.
Take control and secure your Android device and personal information by taking the following precautions:
- Lock your device. You can use a password, PIN, gesture, or fingerprint to secure your smartphone. Ensure you also have your device set to lock when not in use automatically
- Set up automatic device updates to ensure your smartphone’s system updates as soon as possible
- Limit the amount of personal information you give on specific apps and websites. Do your research on how secure the app or website is before divulging any personal information
- Turn off Bluetooth or use undiscoverable mode when it is not in use
- Ensure your device does not automatically connect to unknown networks without your permission
- Download official applications from the Google Play store. Check the reviews and comments before downloading an app to ensure it is legitimate
- Install security software. Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android provides protection from malware, ransomware and other online threats, while also safeguarding your apps. Learn more here.
Nobody is safe from cybercriminals trying to hack into your devices and steal your personal and financial information. Taking the necessary precautions ensures you and your family can enjoy your Android devices worry-free.